Monday, December 01, 2008

That's Debatable....

Remember my Youppi! post from a few days ago? (scroll down)

Well, this is the copy of an email I wrote in early October when I was not publishing here. This would have been a perfect addition- but better late than never:

Friends:





With the NHL season upon us it is once again time for me to choose my team for the 08-09 season.


As many of you will recall, last season the decision was based upon the most Finnish players per team. The Minnesota Wild were deemed the winner of my affections and then really did not do anything to earn it, so it is time to move on.



This year the decision was made on several factors:





-Tradition, but also giving credence to new teams with new energy


-Finnish Players


-Ex-Badgers


-Places I want to visit to maybe see a game


-Uniforms/logos


-Preference given to Canadian/Northern teams


-Stadium name


-Prejudice against cities I hate.





With that in mind I ranked the 30 teams with my choice being listed at the bottom.





Enjoy...





Absolutely Not:





30. Detroit Redwings: For someone who is mostly indifferent to hockey, it is strange that out of all the professional leagues in North America, the team I hate the most is the Detroit Redwings. I will never root for them.





Never even considered:





29. Columbus Blue Jackets: I cannot root for anything from Cbus, nor can I condone a team that allows for a girl to die while at her birthday party.





28. St. Louis Blues: Still bitter over the Blackhawks first round loss from like 1993.





27. Philadelphia Flyers: If I did not pick them last year based on the most Finns, I am certainly not picking them this year based on no real standard.





26. New York Rangers: Yes, I wanted to go tradition, but then I saw Linda "Horse Face" Cohn picked them to win it all. NEXT!





25. Los Angeles Kings: I could not come up with one reason to pick them other than "I would like to go to an event at the Staples Center" However, I would much rather see the Clips or Lakers than the Kings





24. Minnesota Wild: Last year's pick kept me excited for all of about 48 hours, even the puck gum got ruined. That's a bad omen right there





23. Pittsburgh Penguins: With my dad now switching his baseball allegiance to the Pirates, I just cannot support another Pittsburgh team.





22. Edmonton Oilers: So far away. I would have 0 connection with this team.





21. Calgary Flames: See above, but at least they have some daylight in Calgary over the winter





20. San Jose Sharks: If I am going west coast there are other teams I would consider first. Plus, I cannot think of one reason I would ever end up in San Jose. Not one.





There's always next year:





19. Dallas Stars: I've never been to Dallas and I cannot think of a better excuse to go. But, again, I tend to hate the other teams in the Hawks division and I cannot support a team that moves from a hockey hotbed like Minnesota for Dallas.





18. Washington Capitals: The Caps were my team circa 1996, but that fizzled away. Plus, when I lived in DC I never made it to a game (of course that was the season they were on strike) if I didn't go then, why would I care now?





17. Carolina Hurricanes: Unlike the Stars leaving Minn, I kind of think it was funny when the Whalers left Connecticut. What was not funny was when Carolina, with fans who probably did not even know what a blue line was, won the Stanley Cup. I cannot condone that.





16. Anaheim Ducks: Once again, another former TR one year wonder. I still have at least one Mighty Ducks hat, but since they dropped the "Mighty" they dropped any chance of me rejoining the flock.





15. Boston Bruins: Another traditional team, but if I have one rule when picking a sports team it is, Never ever take a team from Boston. Done.





One Major Issue from Greatness:





14. New York Islanders


I like the uniforms and there is no major reason keeping me from picking them, but really, what is the reason TO pick them? I can't come up with one





13. Florida Panthers


Maybe its hard to believe that the Panthers made it this far, but please keep in mind a)Miami b)new team and c)using such a rare local animal as a mascot is kinda cool.





12. Buffalo Sabres


I wanted to put them higher but they are immediately disqualified for 2 reasons. 1. I am already on the Buffalo/Toronto Bills bandwagon and that is all I can handle from Buffalo and 2.Their involvement in Bruce Almighty; I cannot support them.





11. Phoenix Coyotes


"New" team, Phoenix (place I want to go) and some potential for greatness. Then I remembered the Wayne Gretzky factor...NEXT!








Sorry, but I did not choose you





10. Colorado Avalanche


Good team, good energy from their fans and a unique color scheme. But "The Lanche" pretty much means I can never root from them


Bottom Line: They would be a lot higher if they still had Steve Reinprecht





9. NJ Devils


The Devils were fun to root for back in the mid 90s and Martin Brodeur deserves mad respect no matter where your allegiance lies. Also, they have a cool logo.


Bottom Line: The Putty thing from Seinfeld was like 15 years ago. The Devils are no longer as much fun to root for.





8. Nashville Predators


Nashville was my 06-07 selection and they did not disappoint by making the playoffs. I once met the original owner of the Preds, love the jerseys, and they are fun. But they no longer have a copious amount of Finns and "The Sommet Center" is a dumb name for an arena


Bottom Line: Their window has passed, it is time to move on.





7. Toronto Maple Leafs


You cant get much more traditional or hockey hotbededness than Toronto and the Leafs and while I really wanted the Leafs to be higher I kept struggling for a reason to pick them.


Bottom Line: If they were still skating at Maple Leaf Gardens, this could be different, but they are not.





6. Vancouver Canucks


I spent a grand total of 1 hr in Vancouver this summer, which means the rule that places I go have good seasons could apply. Plus, I figure the fact that we saw Killer Whales while sailing towards Vancouver might make me more inclined to buy the jersey. Oh, and going to a game was featured on 10,000 things to do before you die.


Bottom Line: General Motors Place. Really? Am I really expected to support bad business decisions? It just rubs me the wrong way. Plus, I was just there, why would I go back?





THE THREE RUNNERS UP





5. Atlanta Thrashers


Positives: Kari Lehtonen gives them a Finnish tinge, Atlanta is certainly a potential destination. The have that new energy, plus they were good last year. Also, Scott Ferrall was their first play by play man.


Negatives: No Badgers, the ATL is not a hockey town (nor any sport for that matter) Philips Arena: I compete against them, plus they once had Scott Ferrall as their play by play man


Bottom Line: Even L'il John and his Crunk Cup can't get me to root for Atlanta ever getting a Stanley Cup





4. Ottawa Senators


Positives: Ottawa rocks as a city, I would love to go back, but just maybe not during the winter. They have a Finnish contingent as well as one of the greatest Badgers- Danny Heatley. Also, from what I hear the fans are infreakingsane up there- I can do that.


Negatives, this team consistently underachieves, and their uniforms are just ok.


Bottom Line: If I got to Ottawa it won't be during the regular season, also I have enough underachieving from my baseball team.





3. Tampa Bay Lightning


Positives: The fact that I was once a Lightning fan means I have a hat. High potential for a visit and some new energy with some young studs and Barry Melrose as a coach.


Negatives: Barry Melrose is their head coach. St. Pete Times Forum- I prefer the Tampa Trib. Also, I was a fan when TB took the Cup, it would just be downhill from there.


Bottom Line: Even though Chicago is Tampa Bay's B*tch, I am staying away from the Lightning, at least for this season. I'll be back.





THE FINAL 2











2. Chicago Blackhawks


Positives:


Tradition: check, but you also get some new energy because of a new focus on this team, a new owner, and some incredible young talent


Badgers: Yes, in Jack Skille and Adam Boom Boom Burish


Finns: YES, a decent Finnish contingent including goaltender Annti Niemi.


Uniforms: Top notch


Intangibles: Friend has season tickets, Winter Classic to be held in Wrigley Field, Hawks fans are stoked for this season, Commit to the Indian slogan is top notch.





Negatives:


Fans are too stoked, like Bulls fans last year. Chance for a massive meltdown that I want nothing to do with


Arena: United Center: eh, at least it has been that way since it opened


Not really a destination team, I mean, I like 20 mins away from the arena (I guess that could be a positive)





Bottom Line: If I am not going to Commit to the Indian this year either a)It's never going to happen or b)I risk becoming a fair weather fan. Still, not sure if I am feeling it. Still, Go Hawks.








1. Montreal Canadiens:


Positives:





Tradition: The Canadiens are celebrating their 100th season this year-the NHL is only 91 years old, yeah they have tradition. In fact, they have a whole page dedicated to their centennial season


Finns: Only one, but it's Saku Koivu and he wears the letter "C" so that is kind of important.


Destination: Could not be higher, I check airfare to Montreal on almost a weekly basis. IwannagoIwannagoIwannago.


Energy: You might be able to find a more hockey crazed town than Montreal, but it wont be easy. In fact a few years ago their fans got so upset that the goal song was changed to U2's Vertigo, that they petitioned to have it changed back


Jerseys: I like em: red, easy to identify


Intangibles: A ton: the 100 year thing is calling me. I can work on my francais since the website is in both English and French. The nickname of "Habs" I still don't really get it, but its cool. ESPN has picked them to do well and the fact that they are in the east SHOULD NOT upset Hawks fans too much.





NEGATIVES:


No Badgers


I just got out of one dreadful centennial relationship, do I want to enter into another?


I was expected to give them a huge boost because they play in the Molson Centre, alas it is now Centre Bell: WTF does that mean?


Fans might not be accepting, I fear that hard core Habs will snuff out my bandwagonness and throw me overboard and then chuck bottles of Molson at me.


Also, their fans have been known to boo the US National anthem at games. Normally this would be enough to rank them somewhere in the 20s, but then back when Quebec was trying to secede from Canada they booed the Canadian national anthem, I won't take it too personally then, friends.


Bottom Line: This team is just calling to me. I'm sorry guys, I want the Hawks to win the west and pummel the Dead Things. But, Je me Souviens. I want to sing to goal song! I want to be a Hab! Montreal, you are my team! LETS GO HABS!

2 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Blogger TR said...

(Cue Robert Stack)

UPDATE:
Since the writing of this email Barry Melrose was fired as coach of the Tampa Bay LIghting. This has not caused our author to move them up, however.

In addition, TR has paid about 12 minutes of attention to the Habs while meeting friends to watch Hawks games. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "Habs" comes from the French "Les Habitants" meaning The Habitants, as in Habitants of Canada, true story.

Must have taken those French pricks weeks if not months to come up with that clever nickname. It was so bad in fact that they had to change it to the Canadiens, another terribly unoriginal nickname.
Its a good thing that originality of the team nickname was not part of your criteria.

By now your stomach must be turning as you think of the terrible choice you have made.

Maybe you can ask your mascot Sparky for a hug.

P.S. He stole your Minnesota Wild gum...just look at his left hand

F**K SPARKY
F**K THE FRENCH
F**K CANADA
OH CANADA SUCKS

GO HAWKS and mark your calendar for March 31, its the day our friendship ends!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home